|Образование||бакалавр: Religious Studies [University of Toronto, Toronto, 1975 ]
магистр: Theology (Religious Studies) [University of St. Michael's College, Toronto, 1978 ]
PhD: Theology (Religious Studies) [University of St. Michael's College, Toronto, 1981 ]
|Место работы||University of Ottawa / Professor, Department of Religious Studies|
- Religion and Globalization. London: Sage, 1994. 256p.
- Religion im Prozeß der Globalisierung. Würzburg: Ergon Verlag, 2001.
- Introduction [pp. i-liii] and translation of Religious Dogmatics and the Evolution of Societies. Niklas Luhmann. Lewiston/Queenston: Edwin Mellen, 1984.
- "Not in My Backyard: Studies of Other Religions in the Context of SSSR- RRA Annual Meetings," Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 39 (2000): 511- 516.
- "Secularization from the Perspective of Globalization: A Response to Dobbelaere," Sociology of Religion 60 (1999):289-301.
- "Global Migration and the Selective Reimagining of Religions," Horizontes Antropológicos 8 (1998): 12-33.
- "The Modern Emergence of Religions and a Global Social System for Religion," International Sociology 13 (1998): 151-172.
- "The Religious System of Global Society: A Sociological Analysis of an Emerging Reality," Numen 45 (1998): 1-29.
- "Globalized Systems, Global Cultural Models, and Religion(s)," International Sociology 13 (1998): 79-94.
- "The City and Beyond as Dialogue: Negotiating Religious Authenticity in Global Society," Social Compass 45 (1998): 61-73.
- "Identity and Character as Elective Strategies in Global Society," International Journal on World Peace 14, 4 (1997): 13-39. Reprinted in Morton A. Kaplan, ed., Character and Identity: Sociological Foundations of Literary and Historical Perspectives (St. Paul, MN: Professors World Peace Academy, 2000), pp.377-402.
- "Religion, Residual Problems, and Functional Differentiation: An
Soziale Systeme 3,2 (1997): 219-235. See also
- "Religious Vitality in Canada: The Complementarity of Religious Market and Secularization Perspectives," Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 36 (1997): 272- 288.
- "The Global Environment as a Religious Issue: A Sociological Analysis," Religion 22 (1992):1-21.
- O'Toole, R., Campbell, D.F., Hannigan, J.A., Beyer, P.F., Simpson, J.H., "The United Church in Crisis: A Sociological Perspective on the Dilemmas of a Mainstream Denomination," Sciences religieuses/Studies in Religion 20 (1991):151-163.
- "Privatization and the Public Influence of Religion in Global Society," Theory, Culture & Society 7, 2-3 (1990):347-369. Also published in Mike Featherstone (ed.), Global Culture: Nationalism, Globalization and Modernity. London: Sage, 1990. Pp. 373-395. Portuguese translation: "A privatização e a influência pública da religião na sociedade global," in M. Featherstone, ed., Cultura global: nacionalismo, globalização et modernidade. Trans. Attilio Brunetta. Petrópolis: Vozes, 1994.
- "The Mission of Quebec Ultramontanism: A Luhmannian Perspective," Sociological Analysis 46 (1985):37-48.
- "La vision religieuse de Louis Riel: L'ultramontanisme canadien- français au service de la nation métisse," Sciences religieuses/Studies in Religion 13 (1984):87-100.
Рецензии на книги:
- Review of Religion and the New Immigrants: Continuities and Adaptations in Immigrant Congregations, Helen Rose Ebaugh and Janet Saltzman Chafetz, eds., American Journal of Sociology 106 (2001): 1480-1482.
- Review of Sociology and the World’s Religions, Malcolm Hamilton, Sociology of Religion 62 (2001): 265-267.
- Review of Manufacturing Religion: The Discourse on Sui Generis Religion and the Politics of Nostalgia, Russell T. McCutcheon, Studies in Religion/Sciences religieuses 29 (2001): 360-361.
- Review of Three Faces of God: Society, Religion, and the Categories of Totality in the Philosophy of Émile Durkheim, Donald A. Nielsen, Sociology of Religion 62 (2001): 139-140.
- Review of Die Gesellschaft der Gesellschaft, Niklas Luhmann, European Journal of Social Theory 3 (2000): 369-372.
- Review of New Religious Movements: Challenge and Response. Bryan Wilson & Jamie Cresswell, eds., Journal of Contemporary Religion 15 (2000): 292-293.
- Review of Millennium, Messiahs, and Mayhem: Contemporary Apocalyptic Movements, Thomas Robbins & Susan Palmer, eds., Studies in Religion/Sciences religieuses 28 (1999): 386-87.
- Review of New Religions as Global Cultures: Making the Human Sacred, Irving Hexham & Karla Poewe, Journal of Contemporary Religion 14 (1999): 144-45.
- Review of Ecclesiology in Context, Johannes A. van der Ven, Theology Today 55 (1998): 278-280.
- Review of Christian Ethics and Political Economy in North America: A Critical Analysis, P. Travis Kroeker, Sciences religieuses/Studies in Religion 26 (1997): 244-246.
- Review of The Struggle over Singapore's Soul: Western Modernization and Asian Culture, Joseph B. Tamney, Sociology of Religion 58 (1997): 290-292.
- Review of Cults in Context: Readings in the Study of New Religious Movements, Lorne L. Dawson, (ed.), Sociology of Religion 58 (1997): 198-199.
- Review of The McDonaldization of Society, George Ritzer, Journal of Contemporary Religion 12 (1997): 100-102.
- Review of A Solitary Pillar: Montreal's Anglican Church and the Quiet Revolution, Joan Marshall, Sociology of Religion 57 (1996): 106-107.
- Review of Weber's Protestant Ethic: Origins, Evidence, Contexts, Hartmut Lehman and Guenther Roth (eds.), Sciences religieuses/Studies in Religion 24 (1995): 510-511.
- Review of The Globalization of Theological Education, Alice Frazer Evans, Robert A. Evans and David A. Roozen (eds.), Sociology of Religion 56 (1995):225-226.
- Review of Faces in the Clouds: A New Theory of Religion, Stewart E. Guthrie, Review of Religious Research 36 (1995):326-327.
- Review of Antisemitism in Canada, Alan Davies (ed.), Sciences religieuses/Studies in Religion 23 (1994):372-373.
- Review of Church and Organization: A Sociological and Theological Inquiry, Joseph F. McCann, Sociology of Religion 55 (1994):217-218.
- Review of Creed and Culture: The Place of English-Speaking Catholics in Canadian Society, 1750-1930, Terrence Murphy et Gerald Stortz (eds.), North American Religion 3 (1994):259-262.
- Review of Poverty and Ecclesiology: Nineteenth Century Evangelicals in the Light of Liberation Theology, Anthony L. Dunnavant (ed.), North American Religion 2 (1993):269-271.
- Review of Twentieth-Century World Religious Movements in Neo-Weberian Perspective, William H. Swatos (ed.), Review of Religious Research 35 (1993):93-94.
- Review of La scientologie: Une nouvelle religion de la puissance, Roland Chagnon, Sociological Analysis 47 (1987):360-361.
- Review of Religion and Society in Transition: The Church and Social Change in England, 1560-1850, E.E. Best, The Ecumenist 23 (1985):94-96.
- Review of Le messianisme de Louis Riel, Gilles Martel, Sciences religieuses/Studies in Religion 14 (1985):254.
- Review of Danseurs dans le désert: Une Etude de dynamique sociale, Jan van Kessel, The Journal of Religion 63 (1983):334-335.
- Reginald W. Bibby", "Canadian Study of Religion", "Niklas Luhmann", "John H. Simpson", "Social Integration", "World-System Theory", Encyclopedia of Religion and Society, William H. Swatos, Jr., ed. (Walnut Creek, CA: Altamira, 1998), pp. 54-55, 70-71, 277, 469, 475-76, 561.
- "Globalization", Encyclopedia of Politics and Religion, Robert Wuthnow, ed. 2 vols. (Washington, DC: Congressional Quarterly Books, 1998), Vol. I, pp. 305- 307.
- "Religions and Religiosity in Global Society: Secularization, De- Institutionalization, and Exceptionalism?" Conference on Globalization and Religious Traditions, University of Turku, Turku, Finland (October, 2001).
- "The Concept of Religion: On Distinguishing Analytic, Theological, and Official/Popular Meanings." International Society for the Sociology of Religion, Ixtapan de la Sal, Mexico (August, 2001).
- "Defining Religion in Cross-National Perspective: Identity and Difference in Official Conceptions." Association for the Sociology of Religion, Anaheim, CA (August, 2001).
- "Religions in Global Society: Transnational Resource and Globalized Category." Conference on Reinventing Society in a Changing Global Economy, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON (March, 2001).
- "Religion, Media, and the Global/Local Nexus: Expressive Claims and Instrumental Resources." International Association for the History of Religions, Durban, South Africa (August, 2000)
- "The Modern Construction of Religions in the Context of World Society: A Contested Category in Light of Modern Chinese History." Second conference on Chinese and Comparative Historiography and Historical Culture (Religion, Ritual, Myth), Wolfenbüttel, Germany (December, 1999).
- "Not in My Backyard: Studies of Other Religions in the Context of SSSR/RRA Annual Meetings," Society for the Scientific Study of Religion, Boston, MA (November, 1999)
- "A Canadian Religious Mosaic? A Preliminary Report from an Investigation in Progress," Association for the Sociology of Religion, Chicago, IL (August, 1999).
- "Globality and the Search for a New Paradigm in the Sociology of Religion: An Assessment of Niklas Luhmann's Contribution in the Light of Recent Debates," Société internationale de sociologie des religions, Leuven, Belgium (July, 1999).
- "Migration mondiales et pluralité des centres d'authenticité," Association canadienne française pour l'avancement des sciences, Ottawa, ON (May, 1999).
- "Religion in Contemporary Canada: Its Role in the Invention of a Multicultural Society," Netherlands School of Advanced Study in Theology and Religion/Dutch Association of Canadian Studies, Soesterberg, Netherlands (January, 1999)
- "What Counts as Religion in Global Society? From Practice to Theory," Association for the Sociology of Religion, San Francisco, CA (August, 1998)
- "Modern Forms of the Religious Life: Denomination, Church, and Invisible Religion in Canada, the USA, and Europe," Conference on Rethinking Church, State & Modernity: Canada between Europe and the USA, Queen's University, Kingston, ON (May, 1998)
- "Privatization and Politicization of Religion in Global Society: Implications for Church-State Relations in Central and Eastern Europe," Conference on Church-State Relations in Central and Eastern Europe, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland (December 1997).
- "Individuation and Individualism in Global Society: Identity and Character as Elective Strategies," Professors World Peace Association conference on Identity and Character, Washington, DC (December, 1997)
- "The Modern Construction of Hinduism as a Single Religion: Organizational, Political, and Ideological Aspects," Society for the Scientific Study of Religion, San Diego, CA (November, 1997).
- "Global Migration and the Selective Reimagining of Religions", Association for the Sociology of Religion, Toronto, ON (August, 1997)
- "The City and Beyond as Dialogue: Negotiating Religious Authenticity in Global Society," International Society for the Sociology of Religion, Toulouse, France (July, 1997).
- "The 'Churched' Century: Oligopoly and Denominational Vitality in Canada, 1867-1965", Society for the Scientific Study of Religion, Nashville, TN (November, 1996).
- "The Chinese Have No Religion? On the Failure to Imagine a Chinese Religion", Association for the Sociology of Religion, New York City, NY (August, 1996)
- "Nature Religion in a Global Society: The Local and Natural as Counter- Structure", Conference on Nature Religion Today: Western Paganism, Shamanism, and Esotericism in the 1990s, University of Lancaster, Ambleside, Great Britain (April, 1996).
- "World Views and Moralities: Constructing Effective Identities in a Globalizing Society", International Conference on the Study of World Views, Sigtuna, Sweden (March, 1996).
- "The Religious System of Global Society: Binary Codings, Elements, and Internal Differentiation", International Society for the Sociology of Religion, Quebec City, QC (June, 1995).
- "The Protestant Mainline in Canada: Cultural Persistence and Denominational Retrenchment", International Society for the Sociology of Religion, Quebec City, QC (June, 1995).
|Телефон||+613-562-5800 ext. 1178|
|Адрес||Department of Classics and Religious Studies
University of Ottawa
70 Laurier Avenue East
CANADA K1N 6N5
Следующие работы автора можно посмотреть на его персональной страничке:
- A Canadian Religious Mosaic? A Preliminary Report from an Investigation in Progress
- The Modern Construction of Religions in the Context of World Society: A Contested Category in Light of Modern Chinese History