Rao Vithala R.
|Образование||магистр: Sociology [University of Michigan, 1962]
PhD: Applied Economics/Marketing 1970 Outstanding Dissertation--American Marketing Association [University of Pennsylvania (Wharton School), 1970]
|Место работы||Johnson Graduate School of Management, Cornell University / Deane W. Malott Professor of Management , Professor of Marketing and Quantitative Methods|
Development and application of analytical models for marketing research and marketing strategy.
Application of multidimensional scaling and conjoint analysis models to such areas as pricing, product design, product positioning and market segmentation.
Market structure analysis and resource allocation problems; analysis of competitive reactions.
Subset evaluation models as applied to evaluating firms for acquisition and measurement of brand equity.
1. Analysis for Strategic Marketing (with J. Steckel), Addison-Wesley, 1998.
2. New Science of Marketing (with J. Steckel), Irwin Professional Publishing, 1995.
3. Decision Criteria for New Product Acceptance and Success, (with E.W. McLaughlin), New York: Quorum Books, 1991.
4. Applied Multidimensional Scaling: A Comparison of Alternative Approaches and Algorithms, (with P.E. Green), New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, Inc., 1972.
5. Manpower Resources of Ceylon: 1957-1981, (with R.M. Sundrum and S. Selvaratnam), the Planning Secretariat of the Government of Ceylon (1959).
1. "A Note on Balanced Designs," Annals of Mathematical Statistics, Vol. 28, 1958.
2. Evaluation of Some Judgmental Indices of Measures of Information, Instruction and Motivation Conveyed by Messages, (with Russell L. Ackoff (Principal Investigator) and C. Maier-Rothe), under a grant from the National Science Foundation (1968).
3. "A Note on Proximity Measures and Cluster Analysis," (with P.E. Green), Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. VI (April 1969).
4. "Dimensional Interpretation and Configuration Invariance in Multidimensional Scaling: An Empirical Study," (with P.E. Green and A. Maheshwari), Multivariate Behavioral Research (April 1969).
5. "Configuration Invariance in Multidimensional Scaling: An Empirical Study," (with P.E. Green) in P.R. McDonald (ed.), Marketing Involvement in Society and the Economy; 1969 Fall Conference Proceedings of the American Marketing Association, Chicago, 1970.
6. "Self-Concept and Brand Preference: An Empirical Application of Multidimensional Scaling," (with P.E. Green and Arun Maheshwari), Journal of Market Research Society of United Kingdom, Vol. II, No. 4 (December 1969).
7. "Multidimensional Scaling and Individual Differences," (with P.E. Green), Journal of Marketing Research, February 1971.
8. "Nonmetric Approaches to Multivariate Analysis Marketing," (with P.E. Green) in J.N. Sheth (ed.), Multivariate Methods for Market and Survey Research, American Marketing Association, 1976.
9. "Rating Scales and Information Recovery--How Many Scales Response Categories to Use?," (with P.E. Green), Journal of Marketing, July 1970.
10. "The Anatomy of Segmentation Research," (with Ronald E. Frank) in C.W. King and D.J. Tigert (eds.), Attitude Research Reaches New Heights, American Marketing Association, 1971.
11. "Conjoint Measurement: A New Approach to Quantify Judgmental Data," (with P.E. Green), Journal of Marketing Research, August 1971.
12. "Alternative Multidimensional Scaling Methods for Large Stimulus Sets," (with Ralph Katz), Journal of Marketing Research, November 1971.
13. "Alternative Econometric Models of Sales and Advertising," Journal of Marketing Research, May 1972.
14. "Changes in Explicit Information and Brand Perceptions," Journal of Marketing Research, May 1972.
15. "A Note on Configuration Synthesis in Multidimensional Scaling," (with P.E. Green), Journal of Marketing Research, February 1972.
16. "Salience of Price in the Perception of Product Quality: A Multidimensional Measurement Approach," in N.H. Borden (ed.), Proceedings of the Fall 1971 Conference, Chicago, American Marketing Association.
17. "A Search for Models of Consumers Union's Brand Evaluation: A Multidimensional Approach," (with G.D. Hughes) in D.W. Gardner (ed.), Proceedings of the Second Annual Conference of the Association for Consumer Research, 1971.
18. "Graphology and Marketing Research: A Pilot Experiment in Validity and Inter-judge Reliability," (with P.R. Green and D.E. Armani), Journal of Marketing, Vol. 35 (April 1971).
19. "A Model for Brand Choice Under Price-Quality Hypothesis," in Proceedings of the 1972 Fall and Spring AMA Conference, 1972.
20. "Marginal Salience of Price in Brand Evaluations: A Conjoint Measurement Approach," in Proceedings of the Third Annual Conference of the Association for Consumer Research, 1972.
21. "Value Consistent and Expedient Decision Making," (with H.A. Alker and D.G. Hughes), Proceedings of 80th Annual Convention, American Psychological Association, 1972.
22. "Dynamic Sales Promotion Models," (with L.J. Thomas), Operational Research Quarterly, September 1973.
23. "A View of the Competitive Marketing Mix Model," in Proceedings of the 1973 Fall AMA Educators' Conference, 1973.
24. "A Method for Analysis of Trade-offs and Conflicts in Choice of Alternative Health Care Systems," (with J.O. McClain), Health Services Research, Spring 1974.
25. "Multidimensional Scaling Models for Research on Consumer/Buyer Information Processing," in Hughes and Ray (eds.), Buyer/Consumer Information Processing, University of North Carolina Press, 1975.
26. "Multidimensional Psychophysics: An Overview," (with G. Wilcox) in Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. I, Association for Consumer Research, 1973.
27. "Subjective Evaluations of Employer Attributes by Administration Students," (with R.M. Edelstein), Journal of Vocational Behavior, 1975.
28. "Taxonomy of Television Programs Based on Viewing Behavior," Journal of Marketing Research, August 1975.
29. "Subjective Evaluations for Product Design Decisions," (with G.N. Soutar), Decision Sciences, January 1975.
30. "Conjoint Measurement in Marketing Analysis," in J.N. Sheth (ed.), Multivariate Methods for Market and Survey Research, American Marketing Association, 1976.
31. "A Balance Model for Evaluating Subsets of Multiattributed Items," (with P.H. Farquhar), Management Science, January 1976.
32. "The Influence of Values, Information and Decision Orders on Policy Choice and Commitment," (with G.D. Hughes and H.A. Alker), Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 1976.
33. "A Model for Multiperiod Evaluation of New Product Investments," (with S. Smidt), Proceedings of the 1975 AMA Educators' Conference at Rochester, August 1975.
34. "CLUSTSIZ: A Program to Test of the Quality of Clustering a Set of Objects," (with John O. McClain), Journal of Marketing Research, November 1975.
35. "Applications of Conjoint Measurement to Communication Research," (with C.S. Craig), Communication Research, July 1975.
36. "Identifying Market Segments with AID3," (with J.M. McCann and C.S. Craig), Proceedings of the 1976 AMA Educators' Conference, August 1976.
37. "A Comparison of Qualitative Response Models of Consumer Choice," (with Hans Solgaard), Proceedings of the 1977 AMA Educators' Conference, August 1977.
38. "Estimation of Demand for New or Modified Products Using the Multinomial Logit Model," (with I.B. Rosenfeld), Proceedings of the MSI/AMA/PITT Workshop on "Analytical Approaches to Product and Market Planning," November 1977.
39. "An Application of the Multivariate Probit Model to Market Segmentation and Product Design," (with F.W. Winter), Journal of Marketing Research, August 1977.
40. "An Empirical Evaluation of Alternative Multiattribute Utility Models," (with Hans S. Solgaard), Proceedings of 1978 AMA Conference, August 1978.
41. "A Procedure for Incorporating Group-Level Similarity Judgments in Conjoint Analysis," (with P.E. Green and W.S. DeSarbo), Journal of Consumer Research, December 1978.
42. Sales Forecasting Methods: A Survey of Recent Developments, Marketing Science Institute Monograph, December 1978.
43. "Investment Decisions with Sampling," (with H. Bierman), Financial Management, Autumn 1978.
44. "Measurement of Trade-offs in Media Planning Decisions," (with C.S. Craig), Current Issues and Research in Advertising, 1980.
45. "Books on Quantitative Methods for Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, September 1980.
46. "Some Issues on Construction of Models for Marketing/Mix Decisions," Annual Research in Marketing, 1981.
47. "Inference of Hierarchical Choice Processes from Analyses of Panel Data," Journal of Consumer Research, June 1981.
48. "Allocation of Marketing Resources: The Role of Price Promotions," in R. Leone (ed.), Proceedings of Market Measurement and Analysis, TIMS, 1980.
49. "A Bayesian Approach to Test Market Selection," (with F.W. Winter), Management Science, December 1981.
50. "New Product Sales Forecasting Using the Hendry System," in Wind, Mahajan and Cardozo (eds.), New Product Forecasting, Lexington Books, 1981.
51. "Some Major Contributions in Product Management: A Comparative Review," Journal of Marketing, Summer 1981.
52. "The Role of Price in Individual Utility Judgments," (with D. Gautschi) in L. McAlister (ed.), Choice Models for Buyer Behavior, JAI Press, 1982.
53. "Analysis of Panel Data for Market Structure Determination," (with D.J. Sabavala), 1982 Business and Economic Statistics Section Proceedings of the American Statistical Association.
54. "Review of Pricing Research in Marketing: The State of the Art," Journal of Business, January 1984.
55. "A Constrained Unfolding Model for Product Positioning and Market Segmentation," (with W.S. DeSarbo), F. Zufryden (ed.), 1983 Marketing Science Conference Proceedings.
56. "Optimal Allocation of Space in Retail Advertisements and Mail-order Catalogues: Theory and First-approximation Decision Rule," (with Julian L. Simon), International Journal of Advertising, April 1983.
57. "GENFOLD 2: A Set of Models and Algorithms for the General Unfolding Analysis of Preference/Dominance Data," (with W.S. DeSarbo), Journal of Classification, Vol. 1, 1984.
58. "Perspectives on Dynamic Modeling of Consumer Discrete Choice," (with N. Vilcassim), in C.T. Tan and J.N. Sheth (eds.), Historical Perspectives in Consumer Research, July 1985 Proceedings.
59. "A Constrained Unfolding Methodology for Product Positioning," (with W. DeSarbo), Marketing Science, Vol. 5, No. 1, Winter 1986.
60. "Measurement and Use of Market Response Functions for Allocating Market Resources," (with D.J. Sabavala), Technical Report No. 86-105, Marketing Science Institute, July 1986.
61. "On Resource allocation Problems with Interval-scale Coefficients," (with E.N. Weiss), Journal of Operational Research Society, Vol. 37, No. 6, 1986.
62. "AHP Design Issues for Large Scale Systems," (with E.N. Weiss), Decision Sciences, Vol. 18, No. 1, Winter 1987.
63. "A Friction Model for Describing and Forecasting Price Movements," (with W.S. DeSarbo, Joel Steckel, Y. Wind and R. Columbo), Marketing Science, Vol. 6, No. 4, Fall 1987.
64. "An Exploratory Modeling of the Decision Process of New Product Selection by Supermarket Buyers," (with E. McLaughlin), Agribusiness: An International Journal, Vol. 4, No. 2, April 1988.
65. "A Customized Market Response Model: Development, Estimation, and Empirical Testing," (with W.S. DeSarbo and Y. Wind), JAMS, Spring 1988.
66. "Inferring Competitive Market Structure Based on a Model of Interpurchase Intervals," (with R. Grover), International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol. 5, 1988.
67. "Modeling the Decision to Add New Products by Channel Intermediaries," (with E.W. McLaughlin), Journal of Marketing, January 1989.
68. "GENFOLD 2: A General Unfolding Methodology for the Analysis of Preference/Dominance Data," (with W.S. DeSarbo), in New Developments in Psychological Choice Modeling, Desoete and Feger (eds.), North-Holland, 1989.
69. "A Hierarchical Utility Model for the Acquisition of Heterogeneous Items," (with Barry Bayus), Journal of Marketing Letters, Vol. 1 (December 1989).
70. "A Methodology for Specification and Aggregation in Product Concept Testing," (with David Gautschi), in Alain de Fontenay et al. (eds.), Telecommunications Demand Modeling: An Integrated View, North-Holland, 1990.
71. "The Strategic Role of Supermarket Buyer Intermediaries in New Product Selection: Implications for Systemwide Efficiency," (with E.W. McLaughlin), American Journal of Agricultural Economics, May 1990.
72. "Behavioral Methods," (with Y. Wind and P.E. Green), in Handbook of Consumer Theory and Research, edited by T. Robertson and H. Kassarjian, Prentice-Hall, 1991.
73. Book Review of Issues in Pricing in Journal of Marketing Research, November 1990.
74. "A Balance Model for Evaluating Firms for Acquisition" (with V. Mahajan and N. Varaiya), Management Science, Vol. 37, No. 3, March 1991.
75. "A Polarization Model for Describing Group Preferences" (with Joel Steckel), Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 18, No. 1, June 1991.
76. "Equilibrium Pricing and Advertising Strategies for Nondurable Experience Products in a Dynamic Duopoly" (with P. Chintagunta and N. Vilcassim), Managerial and Decision Economics, Vol. 14, May-June 1993.
77. "Toward a Demand Forecasting Model for Preannounced New Technological Products" (with K. Brockhoff), Journal of Engineering-Technology Management, Vol. 10, No. 3, September 1993.
78. "Pricing Models in Marketing" in the Handbook of MS/OR: Marketing, North-Holland Press, 1993.
79. "Assessment of the Importance of Brand Equity in Acquisition Decisions" (with V. Mahajan and R.K. Srivastava), Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol. 11, No. 3, June 1994.
80. "Combining Revealed and Stated Preference Data" (with M. Ben-Akiva et al.), Marketing Letters, Vol. 5, No. 4, October 1994.
81. "Supermarket Buyer's Evaluations of Hypothetical New Products: An Empirical Analysis" (with E.W. McLaughlin and R. Hawkes), Agribusiness: An International Journal, January-February 1995.
82. "A Cross-Cultural Analysis of Price Conjectures to Environmental Changes" (with Joel Steckel), Marketing Letters, Vol. 6, No. 1, January 1995.
83. "Selecting, Evaluating and Updating Prospects in Direct Mail Marketing" (with Joel Steckel), Journal of Direct Marketing, Vol. 8, No. 2, Spring 1995.
84. "Research for Product Positioning and Design Decisions: An Academic Review" (with A. Kaul), International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol. 12, No. 4, November 1995.
85. "An Empirical Comparison of Neural Network and Logistic Regression Models," Marketing Letters,Vol. 6, No. 4, October 1995.
86. "Pricing Strategies in a Dynamic Duopoly: A Differential Game Model" (with P. Chintagunta), Management Science, November 1995.
87. "An Empirical Comparison of Consumer-Based Measures of Brand Equity" (with M.K. Agarwal), Marketing Letters, Vol. 7, No. 3, June 1996.
88. "Resources for Research and Pedagogy on New Product Development," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 34, No. 1, February 1997.
89. "Minimizing Technological Oversights: A Marketing Research Perspective" (with J. Eliashberg and G.L. Lilien), in R. Gawd, P.N. Nayyar and Z.B. Shapira (eds.), Technological Innovation, Cambridge Press, 1997.
90. "Modeling Methods for Discrete Choice Theory," (with Moshe Ben-Akiva et al.), Marketing Letters, 8, July 1997.
91. "Understanding Complex Relationships: Good Science and the Use of Structural Equation Models" (with W.R. Dillon, J.B. White, and D. Filak), Marketing Research, Winter 1997.
92. "Die Validität eines Ansatzes zur Separierung der Allocations-und Informationsfunktion des Preises," in Zeitschrift fur Betriebswirtschaft, Vol. 67, Issue 12, 1997.
93. "A Micro-Analytic Model for the Timing and Order of Durable Goods Purchases" (with S. Haldar), Applied Economics, 30, July 1998.
94. "Conjoint Analysis: Methods and Applications" (with P.E. Green and Y. Wind) in R.C. Dorf (Ed-in-Chief), The Handbook of Technology Management, CRC Press, 1999.
95. "Extended Framework for Modeling Choice Behavior" (with Moshe Ben-Akiva et al.), Marketing Letters, Vol. 10, No. 3, August 1999.
96. "A Hierarchical Bayes Model for Assortment Choice" (with E.T. Bradlow), Journal of Marketing Research, Forthcoming.
97. "Dynamic Models Incorporating Competition" (with R. Chatterjee and J. Eliashberg) in J. Wind and V. Mahajan (eds.) New Product Diffusion Models. Kluwer, 2000.
98. "Measurement of Informational and Allocative Effects of Price" (with H. Sattler) in Gustafsson, A., A. Herrmann, and F. Huber (eds.), Conjoint Measurement, Springer, 2000.
99. “Structural Analysis of Competitive Behavior: New Empirical Industrial Organization Methods in Marketing” (with V. Kadiyali and S. Karunakaran), International Journal of Research in Marketing, (Accepted).
|Адрес||Johnson Graduate School of Management
351 Sage Hall
Ithaca, New York 14853
U.N. Demographic Training and Research Center, Bombay, Diploma, 1959
University of Bombay, M.Sc., 1956, Mathematical Statistics, First Class and First Rank
Andhra University, B.Sc., 1954, Mathematics, First Class and First Rank
Предыдущие должности и позиции, прочие позиции
Visiting Professor of Marketing, Fuqua School of Business Duke University (в настоящее время)
National University of Singapore, Distinguished Visiting Professor, May- June 2000
Copenhagen Business School, Visiting Professor, June 1994, June 1999
General Motors Corporation, Detroit, MSI Visiting Marketing Scholar, June-July 1988.
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Visiting Senior Scholar, 1996-97
Hong Kong Institute of Science & Technology, Visiting Professor, Dec.1996-January 1997
University of Kiel, Germany, Institut fur BWL, Visiting Professor, Fall 1990.
Columbia University, Graduate School of Business, Visiting Professor, Summer 1987.
University of Western Australia, School of Commerce, Visiting Professor, July 1985.
University of Illinois, Urbana, Department of Business Administration, Visiting Professor of Business Administration, 1976-77.
Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta, Assistant Professor, 1966-67.
University of Bombay, Department of Statistics, Instructor, 1956-57.
Tata Oil Mills Company, Ltd., Bombay, Marketing Research Executive, 1959-65. In charge of Marketing Research Section (on leave 1961-62).
Delhi Cloth and General Mills Company, Ltd., Delhi, Marketing Research Officer for the Textile Division, 1965-66.
Performed marketing research and organizational development services for several consumer products firms. These include Imperial Tobacco of India, Lever Brothers, New York; General Foods, Smith Kline and French, Philadelphia; Tompkins County Trust Company; General Motors Tech. Center; Doane Agricultural Service, St. Louis; RCA; AT&T; RCA; Carrier Corporation and Fuerst Brothers; Amrigon; General Motors Corporation; Avon; Fazer Oy; Coca Cola International.