Cardiff University International Conference "The Anxiety of Belonging: Partitions, Reunifications, Modernity"
Date: July 15-17, 2009
Deadline: December 15, 2008
Site: Cardiff, UK
Organiser: The Centre for Critical and Cultural Theory at Cardiff University
Topics: This an interdisciplinary conference to explore the social, cultural, and historical dimensions of Partitions and Reunifications and relate historically located Partitions and Reunifications within contemporary discourses of nationalism, the postnational and the global.
The broad themes of the conference will include:
- Comparative partitions and reunifications;
- The importance of partition study in the face of the declining nation-state and the postnational;
- The reshaping of knowledge in the wake of a partition or a reunification (for instance, what impact does the loss of archives at partition have on a new nation’s knowledge production?);
- The impact of partitions and reunifications on the discourse of diaspora;
- The meaning of reunifications in the face of globalization;
- The re-imagination of the nation-state and reunifications;
- Race, ethnicity and religion in partitions and reunifications;
- Gender, sexuality, identity and partitions and reunifications; Indigenous populations and their relation to a segregated nation-space;
- Memory, Trauma, and Forgetting.
Contact: Dr Radhika Mohanram
Tel.: +44(0)29 208 76151
Fax: +44(0)29 208 74502
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, MohanramR1@cf.ac.uk