British Factory, Japanese Factory: The Origins of National Diversity in Industrial Relations
Second edition with a new afterword (First published in 1973).
PART I: THE FACTORIES
1 Four Factories: A First Look
2. The Workers: Who They Are, How They Are Recruited and Trained
3. Wages 4. Unions: Membership and Organization
5. Industrial Relations: Mainly England
6. Industrial Relations: Mainly Japan
7. Industrial Relations: A Summary
8. The Enterprise as Community
9. Authority, Function and Status
10. Two Employment Systems
11. Some Implications
PART II: CONVERGENCE?
12. “The Japanese Employment System” and Recent Trends of Change
13. Britain Catching Up?
PART III: THE PAST AND FUTURE
14. The Origins of Japanese Employment System
15. Late Development
Afterword to the 1990 Edition
Appendix: The Interview Survey