International Conference: "Post-Crisis States Transformation: Rethinking the Foundations of the State", Linköping, Sweden, May 01-05, 2009.
Date: May 01-05, 2009
Deadline: February 15, 2009
Site: Linköping, Sweden
Organiser: The European Science Foundation (ESF)
Topics: Conference sessions will focus on:
- Processes of formation and disintegration of the state (historical perspective and contemporary dynamics; interdisciplinary approach);
- International dynamics of state formation: Interventions and dependence process;
- How to exit the Nation-state model?
- Principles of action and policies regarding sovereignty;
- Nation state and national identity: What to base identity upon in diversified societies?
- The role of coercion in creating nations, the malleability of national identities?
- Principles of action and policies regarding identity and legitimacy;
- Non-institutionalised forms of political legitimacy;
- From access to the exercise of power: how to renew/maintain legitimacy?
- Transcendental and charismatic forms of legitimacy and democracy;
- Forward Look Session: Where are knowledge gaps for effective action?
The conference will conclude with a reflection on research methodology, a discussion about how academic and policy-oriented research can be complementary in responding to the remaining questions that will arise during the conference.
Fee: 375€ - 800€,
Grants are available
Contact: Ms. Alessandra Piccolotto
Tel.: +32 (0)2 533 2023
Fax: +32 (0)2 538 8486