11th Aleksanteri Conference: “The Dragon and the Bear: Strategic Choices of China and Russia”. Date: 09-11.11. 2011. Site: Helsinki, Finland. Deadline: 31.05.2011
Organiser: Aleksanteri Institute, the Finnish Centre for Russian and Eastern European Studies
Topics: The conference will emphasize a multidisciplinary and comparative approach and bring forth new interpretations on the different strategic choices of the two giants and their mutual relations.
Hence, conference participation is open to a broad array of international scholars from the political and social sciences, economics, the law, and the arts and humanities. Additionally, due to the obvious economic and policy relevancy of the topic, representatives of the public and private sectors are also invited to contribute in the panels and roundtable discussions.
Conference Themes are:
- History and change: converging and diverging models of communism and transition; International framework: Cold War legacy, spheres of influence, integration, bilateral relations;
- Economy: transformation models, FDIs, legal framework, state ownership and the entrepreneurial environment;
- Democracy: aspects of authoritarianism and democracy, institutions, elites, practices of governance;
- Social Balance: socio-economic and welfare development;
- Critical Infrastructure security: national crisis management systems and their implications to regional security balance.
Deadline: May 31, 2011
Contact: Conference Coordinator, Timo Hellenberg
Tel.: 358 (0)44 505 0106; Fax: 358 (0)9 191 23615