|Образование||PhD [University of Iowa (School of Religion), 1985 ]
|Место работы||Loyola University, New Orleans / Professor, Department of Religious Studies|
Новые Религиозные Движения; Миллениализм; Женщины и Религия; Религии Индии; Мировые Религии; История Христианства.
- Annie Besant and Progressive Messianism . 1988. Lewiston, NY: Edwin Mellen Press.
- Editor, Women’s Leadership in Marginal Religions: Explorations Outside the Mainstream. 1993. Urbana: University of Illinois Press.
- Editor, Religious Institutions and Women’s Leadership: New Roles Inside the Mainstream. 1996. Studies in Comparative Religion Series. Columbia: University of South Carolina Press.
- Editor, Millennialism, Persecution, and Violence: Historical Cases. Syracuse: Syracuse University Press, forthcoming.
- How the Millennium Comes Violently: From Jonestown to Heaven’s Gate. New York: Seven Bridges Press, forthcoming.
Главы в книгах:
- "Democracy vs. Hierarchy: The Evolution of Authority in the Theosophical Society," in Timothy Miller, ed., When Prophets Die: The Post-Charismatic Fate of New Religious Movements (Albany: State University of New York Press, 1991), 93-106, notes on 218-222.
- "Going Beyond and Retaining Charisma: Women’s Leadership in Marginal Religions," Introduction to Women’s Leadership in Marginal Religions: Explorations Outside the Mainstream, (Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 1993), 1-19.
- "Woman Guru, Woman Roshi: The Legitimation of Female Religious Leadership in Hindu and Buddhist Groups in America," in Women’s Leadership in Marginal Religions: Explorations Outside the Mainstream, (Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 1993), 125-46.
- "The Feminism of 'Universal Brotherhood': Women in the Theosophical Movement," coauthored with Robert Ellwood, in Women’s Leadership in Marginal Religions: Explorations Outside the Mainstream, (Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 1993), 68-87.
- "Varieties of Millennialism and the Issue of Authority," in From the Ashes: Making Sense of Waco, edited by James R. Lewis. (Lanham, Maryland: Rowman & Littlefield, 1994): 55-62.
- "Eastern Religions" in The Best in Philosophy and Religion, edited by Robert S. Ellwood, vol. 4 The Readers’ Advisor, 14th ed. (New Providence, NJ: R. R. Bauker, 1994), 495-563. The Eastern Religions section includes introductory essays, biographical profiles of significant writers, and annotated bibliographies for the South Asian Traditions, Southeast Asian Traditions, East Asian Traditions, Central Asian Traditions, and Non-Islamic and Non-Jewish Traditions of the Middle East and Northern Africa.
- "Women’s Religious Leadership in America," in The 1993 Parliament of the World’s Religions: Selected Speeches, edited by Daniel Ross Chandler (Fort Worth, TX: CyberSpace Publishing, 1994).
- "Hinduism Arrives in America: The Vedanta Societies and the Self-Realization Fellowship" in America’s Alternative Religions, ed. Timothy Miller. (Albany: State University of New York Press, 1995): 173-90.
- "Women’s Religious Leadership in the United States," introduction to Religious Institutions and Women’s Leadership: New Roles Inside the Mainstream, ed. Catherine Wessinger (Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 1996), 3-36.
- "Key Events for Women’s Religious Leadership in the United States - Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries," chronology in Religious Institutions and Women’s Leadership: New Roles Inside the Mainstream, ed. Catherine Wessinger (Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 1996), 347-401.
- "Millennialism With and Without the Mayhem" in Millennium, Messiahs, and Mayhem, ed. by Thomas Robbins and Susan J. Palmer (New York: Routledge, 1997), 47-59.
- "Foreword" to Hearing the Voices of Jonestown: Putting a Human Face on an American Tragedy, by Mary McCormick Maaga (Syracuse: Syracuse University Press, 1998), ix-xii.
- "The Interacting Dynamics of Millennial Beliefs, Persecution, and Violence" in Millennialism, Persecution, and Violence: Historical Episodes (Syracuse: Syracuse University Press, forthcoming).
- "Annie Besant and the World-Teacher: Progressive Messianism for the New Age," The Quest 2 (Spring 1989): 60-69.
- "Service to India as Service to the World: Annie Besant's Work in India for Human Rights," Part I in Theosophical History 3 (January 1990): 19-32; Part II in 3 (April 1990): 51-60.
- "Woman Guru, Woman Roshi: The Legitimation of Female Religious Leadership in Hindu and Buddhist Groups in America," Gender in World Religions 2 (1991): 37-68; and reprinted in Women’s Leadership in Marginal Religions: Explorations Outside the Mainstream, 125-46, referenced above.
- "Annie Besant’s Millennial Movement: Its History, Impact, and Implications Concerning Authority," with an "Epilogue on David Koresh and the Branch Davidians." Syzygy: Journal of Alternative Religion and Culture 2/1-2 (Winter/Spring 1993): 55-70.
- "Annie Besant and Issues in Contemporary Feminist Spirituality: Part One," The Quest , Special Issue 10/1 (March 1997): 26-33, 51; "Part Two," The Quest, Special Issue 10/2 (June 1997): 42-49.
- "How the Millennium Comes Violently," Dialog: A Journal of Theology 36/4 (Fall 1997): 277-88.
- "Religious Studies Scholars, FBI Agents, and the Montana Freemen," Nova Religion: The Journal of Alternative and Emergent Religions, forthcoming.
Статьи в энциклопедиях:
- "Annie Besant," in The 1890s: An Encyclopedia of British Literature, Art, and Culture G. A. Cevasco, ed., (New York: Garland 1993).
- "Annie Besant" (1150 words), "Paramahamsa Yogananda" (603 words), "Maitreya" (713 words), "Colonel Henry Steel Olcott" (554 words) forthcoming in The Encyclopedia of Hinduism, K. L. Seshagiri Rao, editor in chief.
- "Annie Besant" (7,656 words), forthcoming in the Theosophical Encyclopedia.
- "Charisma" (657 words), "Leadership" (1,393 words), "Ordination in Christianity" (1,051 words), "Theosophy" (750 words) forthcoming in Encyclopedia of Women and World Religion, Serinity Young, editor in chief (Macmillan).
- Articles for the Encyclopedia of Millennial Movements (Berkshire Reference Works, forthcoming) on "castastropic millennialism" (1,115 words), "progressive millennialism" (490 words), "assaulted millennial groups" (261 words), "fragile millennial groups" (517 words), "revolutionary millennial movements" (278 words), "nativist millennial movements" (656 words), and "persecution" (3,938 words).
- "Discerning Religious Prejudice," The Phoenix 15/1 (January 1995): 7, 17.
- "Religious Intolerance--Not ‘Cults’--Is the Problem," Communities: Journal of Cooperative Living 88 (Fall 1995): 32-33.
- "An Outsider’s View" in Re-Membering and Re-Imagining, edited by Nancy J. Berneking and Pamela Carter Joern (Pilgrim Press, 1995), 211-13, on the 1993 Re- Imagining Conference.
- "FBI adviser on successful end of Freemen standoff," New Orleans Times- Picayune, July 16, 1996: B-5.
- "An avoidable tragedy: the Branch Davidians," The Loyola Maroon (Loyola University) 75/17 (February 28, 1997): 9.
- "When ‘cult’ is pejorative," letter to the editor, New Orleans Times-Picayune, April 22, 1997, B-4.
- "Understanding the Branch Davidian Tragedy," Nova Religio: The Journal of Alternative and Emergent Religions 1/1 (October 1997): 122-38. This article reviews: The Ashes of Waco: An Investigation. By Dick J. Reavis. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1995.
- Why Waco? Cults and the Battle for Religious Freedom in America. By James D. Tabor and Eugene V. Gallagher. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1995.
- Armageddon in Waco: Critical Perspectives on the Branch Davidian Conflict. Ed. by Stuart A. Wright. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1995.
- From the Ashes: Making Sense of Waco. By James R. Lewis. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 1994.
- The Davidian Massacre: Disturbing Questions About Waco Which Must Be Answered. By Carol Moore. Franklin, TN: Legacy Communications and Springfield, VA: Gun Owners Foundation, 1995.
- Investigation into the Activities of Federal Law Enforcement Agencies toward the Branch Davidians: Thirteenth Report by the Committee on Government Reform and Oversight Prepared in Conjunction with the Committee on the Judiciary together with Additional and Dissenting Views. By the House of Representatives. Report 104-749, Union Calendar No. 395. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1996.
Рецензии на книги:
- Perfecting Women: Maulana Ashraf ‘Ali Thanawi’s Bihishti Zewar. A Partial Translation with Commentary. By Barbara Daly Metcalf. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1990. In South Asia in Review 15/2-3 (March 1991): 59-60.
- Gender and Salvation: Jaina Debates on the Spiritual Liberation of Women. By Padmanabh S. Jaini. Foreword by Robert P. Goldman. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1991. In South Asia in Review 15/4 (August 1991): 90.
- New Religions and the Theological Imagination in America. By Mary Farrell Bednarowski. Religion in America Series. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1989. In Syzygy: Journal of Alternative Religion and Culture 1/2 (Spring 1992): 185-86.
- Rites and Beliefs in Modern India. Edited by Gabriella Eichinger Ferro-Luzzi. New Delhi: Manohar, 1990. In South Asia in Review 16/combined issue (August 1992): 43-44.
- The Spiritual Churches of New Orleans: Origins, Beliefs, and Rituals of an African-American Religion. By Claude F. Jacobs and Andrew J. Kaslow. Knoxville: The University of Tennessee Press, 1991. Louisiana Literature 9/2 (Fall 1992): 80-83.
- Women of the Renaissance. By Margaret L. King. Women in Culture and Society Series. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1991. Religious Studies Review 18/4 (October 1992): 336.
- From Sin to Salvation: Stories of Women’s Conversions, 1800 to the Present. By Virginia Lieson Brereton. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1991. American Studies 34/1 (Spring 1993): 173-4.
- Lives in the Shadow with J Krishnamurti. By Radha Rajagopal Sloss. London: Bloomsbury Publishing Ltd, 1991. Syzygy: Journal of Alternative Religion and Culture 2/1- 2 (Winter/Spring 1993): 159-62.
- The American Encounter with Buddhism 1844-1912: Victorian Culture and the Limits of Dissent. By Thomas A. Tweed. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1992. Syzygy: Journal of Alternative Religion and Culture 2/1-2 (Winter/Spring 1993): 145-47.
- Myths and Symbols in Indian Art and Civilization. By Heinrich Zimmer. Edited by Joseph Campbell. Bollingen Series VI. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1992. Syzygy: Journal of Alternative Religion and Culture 2/1-2 (Winter/Spring 1993): 155-6.
- In Her Words: Women’s Writings in the History of Christian Thought. Edited by Amy Oden. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1994. Religious Studies Review 22/4 (October 1996): 347.
- Writing Out My Heart: Selections from the Journal of Frances E. Willard, 1855- 96. Edited by Carolyn De Swarte Gifford. University of Illinois Press, 1995. Cross Currents 47/1 (Spring 1997): 135-36.
- Perspectives on New Religious Movements. By John A. Saliba. London: Geoffrey Chapman, 1995. Journal of Contemporary Religion 12/3 (October 1997): 422-23.
- The Odyssey of a New Religion: The Holy Order of MANS from New Age to Orthodoxy. By Phillip Charles Lucas. Indiana University Press, 1995. Journal of the American Academy of Religion 65/4 (Fall 1997): 907-9.
- Radical Religion in America: Millenarian Movements from the Far Right to the Children of Noah. By Jeffrey Kaplan. Syracuse University Press, 1997. Nova Religio: The Journal of Alternative and Emergent Religions 1/2 (April 1998): 307-8.
- In Our Own Voices: Four Centuries of American Women’s Religious Writing. Edited by Rosemary Skinner Keller and Rosemary Radford Ruether. HarperSanFrancisco, 1995. Cross Currents 48/3 (Fall 1998): 428.
- Betrayal of the Spirit: My Life behind the Headlines of the Hare Krishna Movement. By Nori J. Muster,. Foreword by Larry D. Shinn. Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 1997. Nova Religio: The Journal of Alternative and Emergent Religions 2/2 (April 1999): 320-21.
- Like Bread on the Seder Plate: Jewish Lesbians and the Transformation of Tradition. By Rebecca Alpert. Columbia University, 1997. Forthcoming in Nova Religio: The Journal of Alternative and Emergent Religions.
|Телефон||office 504-865-3182; home 504-394-2207|
6363 St. Charles Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70118
Общественные науки и современность. 2006. № 1. С. 69-82.
Социологические исследования. 2001. № 11. С. 100-104.
Путь. Международный философский журнал. 1992. № 1 (2). С. 152-179.
Общественные науки и современность. 2014. № 5. С. 157-165.
Общественные науки и современность. 2015. № 1. С. 108-114.